Panoramica del lago e della sponda accidentale ripresa dalle alture del monte Baldo.
Lonato del Garda is located in a big morenic area, on the southwest side of the Lake Garda, in a wonderful position that allows to overlook the lake and the plains of Brescia.
Between green spaces, old walls, silent gardens protected by iron gates and half-closed doors, Lonato del Garda – amazing for its look of ancient town and its architectural beauties – has a rich variety of well-conserved monuments, first of all the properties of the Foundation Ugo Da Como.
Lonato del Garda shows itself as a tourist’s destination and as a reference point for the demanding travellers that search discoveries that astound them.
It offers unexpected answers to every hobbies, with its furnished and lovely beach on the lake (Lido di Lonato) and with a lot of opportunities for the leisure time: sport facilities, horse riding, cycling, walking through the hills or the alleys with pebbles of the Venetian “Cittadella” in the old town centre.
The cooking is excellent in the numerous farms, in the local restaurants, in the pizzerias, besides the wine and food events in the hamlets of Campagna, Esenta, Sedena and Centenaro.
The Basilica of San Giovanni Battista is a great baroque building with a plan of Latin cross.
The impressive façade is divided by columns and adorned by sculptures depicting (from right to left):Santa Caterina d’Alessandria, San Zeno,Sant’Annone, Santa Barbara. Over the window there is the coat of arms of the Community: the rampant lion with two keys in its paws and three lily flowers above the head.
The beautiful dome dominates the Basilica and elevates itself harmoniously: it is an example of the production of the architect Paolo Soratini from Lonato (1680-1762).
Inside there are thirteen altars, the principal one is completed by an extraordinary altar piece depicting the Sermon of San Giovanni Battista, finished in 1752 by the painter Giambettino Cignaroli. The sacristy conserves the triptych from the Renaissance period signed by Bernardino Licinio in 1528.
POLADA is a town in the municipality of Lonato (province of Brescia), from which the name spread culture during the first Bronze Age in the Trans-Padana region. It is characterized by a production of narrow-lined pottery vessels, called "poculi", and others of various sizes, rarely decorated; Abundant in addition, bone and horn production with punches, spatulas and pads. Among the wooden remains, often well preserved in peaty deposits on the bottom of ancient lakes, can be counted as pirogues, different vessels, palisades and platforms belonging to palustre settlements. In the past it was believed that the duration of Polada's facies was limited to the sec. XVIII and XVII a. C., while studies on the calibration of radiocarbon dates by means of dendrocronology allow for a much longer duration, including approximately between 2300 and 1700 a. C.d