top of page

AL DUOMO

GUEST HOUSE

ART & CULTURE . SPORT & FOOD

la-scalera-lonato-del-garda-vista-rocca.jpg

History

​The origins of Lonato date back to the Bronze Age. The first settlements dating back to the Bronze Age which give name to the civilization of Polada (from the name of the Lonatese locality where in the 19th century the first finds attributed to this culture were found following reclamation work in a peat bog), were followed by Roman settlements while during the imperial period it was crossed by the via Emilia; during the Middle Ages it was the territory of numerous disputes of which the mighty fortified fortress remains tangible evidence.

It suffered the invasion of the lansquenets and therefore became a possession of the Venetian republic; it was later conquered by Napoleon in 1796 who stayed there during the historic battles of Sam Martino and Solferino.

The historic part of Lonato is full of churches and noble palaces of considerable architectural and artistic importance: the eighteenth-century cathedral of San Giovanni Battista, the churches of Santa Maria del Corlo and Sant'Antonio; the sanctuary of the Madonna di San Martino, the ancient parish church of San Zeno, the Benedictine abbey of Maguzzano, the Visconti fortress, the civic tower, the Drugolo castle, the Casa del Podestà, the town hall...

The Brescian and Milanese nobility chose Lonato as a holiday resort and it is still possible to admire buildings of important significance and beauty today: Palazzo Savoldi and Palazzo Orlandini from the 1500s, Palazzo Carpeneda and Casa Chiodera from the 1600s, Palazzo Girardi, Palazzo Certi-Papa and the Girelli-Robazzi from the 1700s.

Cathedral facade
Dome of the Cathedral
The Clock Tower
"Ugo da Como" Foundation
"Ugo da Como" Foundation
"Ugo da Como" Foundation
The Rocca Viscontea
Golf & Sports
Arzaga Golf Club

Where are we

Alcuni incunaboli della Biblioteca.jpg

Lonato, is located at m. 175-188 a.s.l. It is 23km from Brescia from the Brescia center tollbooth, 44km from the center of Verona, and only 3km from the Desenzano del Garda motorway tollbooth.

Lonato,whose territory extends over an area of over 70 sq km, it is located in an area served by the main motorway and railway arteries, just halfway between Milan and Venice, which make it an ideal logistic point of reference for quickly reaching the various tourist destinations in the southern area and on the western coast of the lake .

The nucleus of the town is gathered around the Rocca, the Civic Tower and the dome of Soratino, and extends over a hill which dominates the plain on one side and the southern shore of Lake Garda on the other.

 

Lonato is the ideal place for all those who wish to take advantage of the innumerable opportunities that Lake Garda can offer but who also aspire to enjoy moments of tranquility far from the caos of the commercial exploitation and mass tourism.

.

logoUDC_variante.png

The Foundation which is based in Lonato del Garda (Brescia) was commissioned by the Brescian Senator Ugo Da Como (1869-1941). Established by Royal Decree in 1942, it is still today a private institution but totally open to the public. The statutory purpose of the Foundation is to "promote and encourage studies, stimulating love for it in young people" and carries out its activity by taking care of the conservation of historical, book, archival and artistic collections, as well as the conspicuous monumental architectural heritage.

It also establishes scholarships and specialization scholarships, promotes publications relating to the Brescia and Benaco area. The Foundation belongs to an exceptional monumental complex which includes the Casa-Museo known as del Podestà, the Venetian Visconti fortress and a small group of ancient buildings which are part of the medieval village of Lonatese. The Museum and the Rocca which also houses the Civic Ornithological Museum are open to visitors all year round; the Library and Archives are available only by agreeing on an appointment.

bottom of page